Monday, 7 July 2014

German Exchange ~ Thursday

Hey Guys!
So as you know I have been away from blogging for a while and there are a lot of little reasons why I have been away and one of them is that I was on the German Exchange. So I thought that I would try something a little bit different and do a sort of diary entry of my experience. I don't know if this will work but it is worth a try!

My school runs an exchange with a school in Furth, Bavaria in Germany and it has now been running for 26 years! I have been taken part since I was in 2nd Year so this was going to be my fourth exchange trip. This year was the year where the Germans came to Scotland it isn't as exciting as going to Germany but it is still time off school!

For the first time ever I was going to be getting a new partner whereas the other three years I had had the same one. Last minute I was asked to take another person because a Scottish person had to drop out. Waiting for them to arrive I was really nervous because I was worried that the two German girls weren't going to get on.

Thursday 19th June

The first full day of the exchange was a day where the German pupils got to experience a Scottish school. I unfortunately had to wear my uniform to school but the weird thing about this was how fascinated my German partners were because they can wear whatever they want to school.

We also weren't to have breakfast at my house because our school was providing a full Scottish breakfast which I was really excited about! When we got to school it was really weird because I didn't really know anyone on the exchange who was Scottish and it didn't help that more or less every Scottish person was trying to have a look at the Germans! (I suffer from anxiety and I don't really like lot's of people looking at me this is why I found it weird!)

When the bell went we went into a gym hall to have our breakfast where we could have: scrambled egg, bacon, squared sausage, haggis, black pudding and potato scone. I had everything! But my German partners only had egg, bacon and potato scone. I don't think they liked the look of the haggis and black pudding!

After we had had our breakfast which went down really well we were to take our partners to a class with us but I had a free period so instead I took them on a tour around the school. They found it really weird how we had classes like Home Economics which is where you cook and also Technical which is where we build things like tables and book shelves. It was strange showing someone my school which I don't find anything special but they found fascinating.

Once the hour had finished we all hoped onto the coach to head to a local outdoor centre. Here we were separated into different groups to do various activities. We did swimming where we played different games and volleyball, archery I found this really fun and surprisingly easy and also we did aero-ball which is basketball on trampolines which was really difficult and got quite boring easily.

Soon it was time for us to head back to school and if I was honest I didn't want the day to end because we had had such fun doing all these different activities.

In the evening The Fault In Our Stars had been released in our local cinema so we decided to go and see it. My German exchange partners English was pretty flawless so they could understand more or less the whole film and also we all cried. It was a bit embarrassing crying in front of them after only meeting them for a day but the whole cinema was crying so I didn't feel that bad. If you want to see what I thought about the film I have also posted a review of it.

So this was my first day of the exchange I hope you have enjoyed this sort of diary post! :)

Catriona...