Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Getting Help?

Hey Guys!

I have been toying with the idea of writing this post for a while now and a few things have helped me finally make up my mind and actually write it! I'm awful at making decisions so the fact that I'm finally doing this is amazing!

1.) JacksGap recently uploaded a new video called Let's Talk About Mental Health and if you haven't seen it yet I definitely think you should go and watch it. It doesn't matter if you suffer from a mental illness or not I still think you should go and have a look!

2.) Last Sunday it had been a year since I reached out and finally got some help with my anxiety. I had kept it hidden away for so long and it began to get too much for me so I reached out and it honestly was the best decision I made last year.


Mental Health has had this taboo when it comes up in conversation for so many years now and only recently have I been able to freely talk about it and how I am effected. This needs to stop because talking about it makes you realise that you are not alone in this world and it effects a lot more people than you would actually think.

Actually, 1 in 4 people suffer with some kind of Mental illness in their life time whether that is anxiety and depression like me or anorexia, bulimia or a personality disorder. When I first heard that statistic I was astounded because you just don't hear about it and you would never expect it to be that high a number.

So I'm now reaching out to everyone reading this if you are suffering or know someone who is suffering help them to go out and get help. Getting help doesn't mean going to the doctors and getting prescribed medication because that doesn't help everyone! It could be reading up on self help websites or books or apps (post up soon about self help) or it could even be telling someone if you haven't told anyone yet.


In the beginning stages I had no clue where to get help in fact I didn't even know your GP could help you with it so I actually first told my Guidance Teacher at school who then directed me to the School Nurse who then told me to go and see my GP. After seeing my GP I then went into private therapy which wasn't great and now I'm on a programme called CAMHS.

In the past year the changes in my life concerning my health are astounding! Yes, I'm not cured or whatever but I'm able to cope with it to some extent which wasn't the case in January 2014. Yes, I was diagnosed with clinical depression after I finally reached out and got help but that was because I kept it all inside and didn't tell anyone.

So I want you to reach out and get help! Trust me it will be the best decision that you make this year I can guarantee. Remember there isn't some quick fix and after going to see your GP everything is going to be fine because it isn't, so don't panic if you don't see any results until a few months in.

I hope this post helps you go and help someone else or yourself. We can help fight this stigma that is related to Mental Health and hopefully 2015 will be the year when it finally starts to go away!

Stay Strong ♡